Get Out! Nature Walks are volunteer-led regular trips with trained master naturalists and other skilled volunteer leaders. Join us for a well-planned, no cost, guided adventure. Once-per-month on Wednesdays; always free; rain, snow, or shine. Check our detailed schedule (below) for specifics or updates. Our program is jointly offered by both the Chebeague and Cumberland Land Trust and the Royal River Conservation Trust. Our nature walks are at preserves in the Towns of Chebeague Island, Cumberland, Yarmouth, North Yarmouth, Pownal, New Gloucester, Durham, or anywhere else we decide to roam.
Be mindful of the weather, and dress accordingly. Bring appropriate gear, snacks and a thermos or water bottle. Check back here for any updates or changes. Nature walks typically involve getting on our knees with a hand lens, or standing still for ten minutes craning up at a treetop. Trips are great for kids, but inappropriate for folks under age 6. Our curriculum is targeted at adults and engaged youth. Because the purpose is nature observation, we ask that dogs do not join us.
The trips are volunteer led. Staff might be in the office or reachable with information if you are running late or need better driving directions, but our primary liaison between volunteer leaders and trip members is this email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our program is popular for new residents, neighbors, or folks of all ages who want to get to know our organizations and explore new preserves. In addition to these trips, check out our Best Nature Walks webpage which includes many Master Naturalist guides and youth-oriented nature guides to our favorite trails.
If you’d like to get out on a Nature Walk on your own we have a great list of self led nature walks and some good reading on ecology and habitat in different locations in the Royal River watershed visit: Best Nature Walks in the Royal River Watershed
Get Out! Nature Walks Will Resume With Specific COVID-19 Procedures
Get Out! Nature walks will resume following the Maine Master Naturalist Program’s protocols for safe walks which include:
- Unvaccinated participants must wear a mask (If unvaccinated kids attend, all folks will wear masks, provided by RRCT and CCLT)
- Groups are limited to 10 participants. It is necessary to sign up with the form below.
- All unvaccinated participants must maintain a “moose distance” apart from each other (aka approximately 6 feet or 2 meters).
- All participants should bring their own field guides, ID keys, rulers, hand lenses and other nature observation tools. These will not be shared.
- If there are hand-outs or additional information that is needed, it will be sent electronically ahead of time for participants to print out and bring along with them. Please provide your email in the form below.
- Bring and use hand sanitizer at the beginning and end of each program.
Next Program Date:
Wednesday August 25, 2021 1:30pm to 3:00 pm
Location: Greely Woods (sign up follows)
Master Naturalist: Polly Haight Frawley
Topic: Lichen, Fungi, Ferns
Wednesday September 22, 2021 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm
Location: Knight’s Pond Preserve
Master Naturalist: Chris Cabot